Boost Implant Candidacy with a Sinus Lift
For long-term success, dental implants must be embedded in strong, dense bone tissue. Even if the bone tissue in your upper jaw is too thin to support an implant, however, you may still be able to qualify for placement. Dr. Paul V. Archacki can perform a sinus lift to create more room beneath the sinus membrane and boost bone growth. A diplomate of the America Board of Prosthodontics, the doctor has over 30 years of experience serving residents of Boynton Beach, FL, and is dedicated to providing the best prosthodontic care possible.
Sinus Lift Benefits
Although it is completely understandable to be nervous at the thought of surgery, patients often find the advantages of a sinus lift far outweigh the drawbacks. This treatment opens up the possibility of a long-lasting solution to tooth loss for patients who would not otherwise qualify for implants.
A sinus lift is also specifically designed to boost jawbone density in the upper jaw. Because the delicate sinus membrane rests almost directly on top of the jaw, invasive implant surgery is not always recommended to patients who have lost teeth in their upper jaw. However, since a sinus lift combines bone grafting with repositioning of the sinus membrane, you have a significantly higher chance of implant success.
When Is a Sinus Lift Recommended?
Anyone with bone loss in the upper jaw may be considered for a sinus lift. To qualify for this procedure, patients must be in good general health and should not have any medical conditions that could make surgery a risk. This may include uncontrolled diabetes or other diseases affecting the immune system. During a consultation at our Boynton Beach practice, Dr. Archacki can determine your candidacy for the procedure.
What to Expect
First, Dr. Archacki will conduct a comprehensive oral evaluation. He will take scans and x-rays to assess the health of the upper jawbone and establish the position of the maxillary sinuses. Qualifying patients are then scheduled for surgery.
The surgery itself is usually broken into several stages:
- Anesthesia: First, local anesthesia is administered to ensure your comfort during treatment. Nitrous oxide sedation is also available upon request.
- Incisions: Once you are comfortable, a small incision is created in the gums near the maxillary sinus. This gives the doctor access to the underlying tissues.
- Lifting the sinus: The surgeon carefully raises the membrane to create space for the bone graft. Special care is taken during this step to ensure the sinus is not perforated.
- Bone grafting: Once the sinus membrane has been lifted, bone grafting material is packed into the space beneath it. This keeps the membrane in its new position and creates a solid foundation for dental implants later.
- Sutures: Finally, the gums are repositioned and the incisions are closed with stitches.
Following sinus augmentation, a few months of healing are typically required. During this time, the grafting material integrates with the natural bone tissue to promote growth. When the area has completely healed, Dr. Archacki will evaluate whether you can proceed to dental implant placement.
Contact Our Practice
If you are considering dental implant surgery, a sinus lift can increase your candidacy and deliver long-lasting results. We are proud to accept CareCredit® financing to help patients afford treatment. To learn more about sinus augmentation or any of the other services we offer, schedule a visit with Dr. Archacki. Contact us online anytime or give us a call at (561) 736-1177.
“Smiles are our Business!” Dr. Archacki