Relax During Treatment with Sedation Dentistry
It is estimated that nearly half of adults in the United States suffer from moderate dental anxiety. Additionally, about five to 10 percent avoid vital oral health care altogether due to their fears. Fortunately, sedation dentistry can help create a more relaxing experience for patients who suffer from dental phobia. Dr. Paul Archacki offers nitrous oxide sedation to help you feel more at ease during your dental procedures at his Boynton Beach, FL, practice. Nitrous oxide is a safe, effective, and practical solution for patients of all ages.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Dental anxiety can be detrimental to your oral health, especially if you delay dental visits until issues become severe. Sedation dentistry can be administered during treatment to significantly improve your comfort level by reducing your awareness and often inducing feelings of euphoria.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
Sedation dentistry can be used during any procedure, from dental cleanings to tooth extractions, but is typically recommended during longer treatments in which extensive time is spent in the dental chair such as dental implant placement. It can help make these appointments more comfortable, as well as increase efficiency for the doctor. Sedation is also quite helpful for patients who lack control of their movements, such as those with cerebral palsy.
Nitrous Oxide Sedation
Dr. Archacki offers nitrous oxide, one of the most common sedation methods available. Also known as laughing gas, this sedative is administered through a small nosepiece and is inhaled throughout treatment. Nitrous oxide induces feelings of well-being and relaxation.
Sedation dentistry can help create a more relaxing experience for patients who suffer from dental phobia.
Benefits of Nitrous Oxide Sedation
Laughing gas combines two common elements: nitrogen and oxygen. As such, it is non-allergenic. Because the levels can be adjusted according to the unique needs of the patient, nitrous oxide is one of the safest forms of sedation. Nitrous oxide also offers many additional benefits including:
- Fast Onset
- Typically, patients under nitrous sedation can feel the effects within two to three minutes. This helps provide immediate relief from anxiety before the procedure even begins.
- Functional Consciousness
- In contrast to general anesthesia in a hospital setting, nitrous oxide does not cause complete unconsciousness. You can still communicate with the dentist as necessary. While you will still be aware of your surroundings, you will be much more carefree and comfortable.
- Unlike IV sedation, nitrous oxide does not require injections. Therefore, patients who fear needles can enjoy a comfortable experience.
- Quick Recovery
- Other types of sleep dentistry, such as oral or IV sedation, require a significant amount of time to regain regular function. With nitrous oxide, individuals return to their normal mental state within minutes.
- Reduces Gag Reflex
- Many patients have a severe or uncontrollable gag reflex, which is often problematic during dental procedures. Fortunately, nitrous oxide can reduce or eliminate this reaction altogether.
If you suffer from dental anxiety, bring it to Dr. Archacki's attention during your consultation. He can determine if nitrous oxide sedation is right for you.
Learn More about Sedation Dentistry in Boynton Beach
With sedation dentistry available at our practice, dental anxiety does not have to prevent you from receiving the care you need. To learn more about nitrous oxide sedation, or to schedule an appointment, contact us online or call us at (561) 736-1177. We are committed to providing you with a safe, pleasant experience.
“Smiles are our Business!” Dr. Archacki